Buying a House in Bridgeton

It is the responsibility of the buyer to apply for and obtain a Residential Occupancy Permit. The Occupancy Permit will only be approved if an exterior inspection has been completed and the seller has received a Certificate of Exterior Appearance Compliance.

Application & Fees

Download an Application for Residential Occupancy Permit (PDF), or pick one up at the Information Desk at City Hall (12355 Natural Bridge Road).

Processing & Approval

The Public Works Department will process the application. If the property has a valid Certificate of Exterior Appearance Compliance, a Residential Occupancy Permit will be issued and mailed to you. 

Along with the Occupancy Permit, you will also receive a City of Bridgeton Welcome Packet. The Welcome Packet will contain important information regarding trash pick-up, the community center, and other amenities in Bridgeton.


The fee for Residential Occupancy Permit application is $30.

Buying a Home As Is

Please note: If you are buying a house as is, you may be the responsible party for obtaining an exterior inspection of the premises and a Certificate of Exterior Appearance Compliance; if that is the case, you have two options:

  •  You may apply for the Exterior Inspection before the house has been sold to you. 
    • However, if at any point you decide not to go through with the sale, you will not be issued a refund for the application fee.
  • You may wait to apply for the Exterior Inspection until after the house has been sold, and is in your name. 
    • Please note that it is illegal to occupy a residence that has not been issued a Certificate of Exterior Appearance Compliance and an Occupancy Permit. You will need to allow ample time for the inspections and repairs to be approved before you will be allowed to occupy the residence.