Zoning Processes

  1. Certificates & Permits
  2. Amendments
  3. Variances & Appeals

Zoning Certificates

Except as specifically identified in the Municipal Code, no permit pertaining to the use of the land or buildings shall be issued by an officer, department or employee of this City unless the application for such permit has been examined by the office of the Zoning Administrator and has affixed to it a certificate of the office that the proposed building or structure and use thereof complies with all the provisions of this Chapter. 

An application for Zoning Certificate is included with other permits so requiring.

Special Use Permits (SUP)

An SUP authorizes certain uses which may be necessary or desirable to allow in a given district, but which because of their potential impact upon neighboring uses, public facilities, or general community need to be carefully regulated with respect to location or operation.

Special Use Permits require Planning and Zoning Commission review and City Council approval. The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative, including a lessee) may file an application for a Special Use Permit (PDF).

The Subdivision Ordinance is the regulatory code by which the City controls the division of land within the corporate area of Bridgeton in order to:

  • Promote the public health safety and general welfare
  • Further the orderly development of land
  • Establish accurate records of land subdivisions
  • Facilitate adequate and coordinated provision for:
    • Parks
    • Schools
    • Sewerage
    • Transportation
    • Water
    • Other public requirements
  • Preserve natural features and historic landmarks

Land subdivision procedures include applications for plats or vacations of subdivisions (PDF), and applications for vacations of public streets (PDF). Certain land subdivision procedures require Planning and Zoning Commission review and City Council approval.