- Public Works
- Engineering Department
- Sewer Lateral Repair Program
Sewer Lateral Repair Program
Qualifying Property Owners
In order to be eligible for sewer lateral repair under this program:
- Repairs to the affected sewer lateral line must be performed by a licensed drain layer who is registered with and in good standing with the Public Works Department of St. Louis County, Missouri.
- The property owner must pay the annual lateral assessment funding fee which will be reflected on the real property tax bill issued yearly by the Collector of Revenue of St. Louis County, Missouri beginning in the year 2000.
Lateral Blockages & Cleaning
- A property owner who qualifies for reimbursement under the sewer lateral repair fund, and who is experiencing sewer lateral blockage must first have the lateral cleaned at the owner's expense, which is not reimbursable under this program.
- If cleaning the lateral does not remove the blockage, a camera or other adequate inspection must be made to identify the problem. If inspection of the sewer lateral line reveals a break or collapse in the lateral, the property owner may file a claim with the City for the cost of repair to the lateral under the Sewer Lateral Repair Program.
To file for the Sewer Lateral Repair Program the property owner must submit:
- The application (PDF) (4 pages)
- A copy of a current paid real estate property tax bill
- A copy of the paid bill for the original lateral line cleaning
- Three qualified bids on the contractor’s letterhead
- The video or disk of the camera inspection
If the property owner was charged for a camera inspection, submit a copy of the paid bill and this amount will be reimbursed.
For a list of licensed drainlayers, please contact the Public Works Department at 314-739-7665.
Requirements for Bids
If repair cost is estimated to exceed $1,500, then the claim for reimbursement should be accompanied by three written competitive bids or cost estimates for repair of the affected lateral line, which are obtained by the property owner from three different qualified licensed drain layers.
If emergency conditions exist, only two qualifying bids may be required.
- Reimbursable costs are only those costs incurred when the inspection made to determine the collapse or break in the lateral successfully makes such a determination, for
- The actual costs for repair of the lateral break
- The costs of re-seeding or replacement of grass sod to restore ground cover
- The repair or replacement of all sidewalks and driveways
- The sewer lateral fund will reimburse 100% of the cost for sewer lateral line repair up to $10,000, and fifty percent of any cost which exceeds $10,000 up to a maximum of $20,000.
Payment for the sewer lateral repair will be made by the City directly to the contractor.