The City of Bridgeton's Public Works Department supports and encourages every resident and business's decision to improve their home or space. We look forward to helping you.
Approval of plans and inspection of work being done helps ensure your improvement meets minimum code requirements while improving your property. Work on a project may not begin until a permit has been issued and the permit fee has been paid.
You must submit a Building Permit Application and Zoning Certificate Application (PDF) as well as four sets of drawings and/or plans, and four copies of a plot plan/site plan of the property. Some projects may require plans to be signed and sealed by an engineer or architect licensed with the State of Missouri.
Other Application Requirements
- Please allow approximately 10 to 15 business days for application review and processing (unless Design and Review Board approved is necessary, if so, see below). We review permits on a first come first serve basis and are not in a position to offer any type of review expediting. No exceptions.
- Please note that the Design and Review Board must approve certain projects. In this case, please allow approximately four to six weeks for processing and review time. These projects include all:
- Commercial fences
- Exterior alterations
- Residential fences (in some cases)
- Storage buildings
- Permit applications may be mailed or submitted to the front desk; at this time we cannot accept faxed or emailed applications.
- Any Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Permits must be applied for through St. Louis County separately.
- Any Fire Permits must be applied for through the appropriate Fire District separately.
- If any amount of grading will be performed, please contact the Public Works Department to inquire if a Site Disturbance Permit is necessary.
- An Excavation Permit may be required for new construction and other major projects that will require work in the City's right-of-way, please contact the Public Works Department to inquire if an Excavation Permit is required.
- Once your application is approved, the permit contact will receive a call that the permit approved - at this time we state what the final permit fees are and give necessary information regarding picking up the permit.
Submitting Your Application
Without submittal of all of the above items, processing delays will occur; we can not review an application until all necessary documents have been submitted. All plans must conform to the 2003 International Building Code. Please submit applications to the Information Desk at City Hall (12355 Natural Bridge Road).
Projects Requiring Permits
- All additions
- All structural remodels or repair
- Carport and patio covers
- Fire damage or repair
- Fireplaces and stoves
- Retaining walls over 4 foot
- Roof trusses and decking (but not shingles)
- satellite dishes
- Solar panels
- Storage buildings (over 120 square feet)
- Swimming pools
Everything listed under
Residential and also including:
- Generator and dumpster enclosures
- Major building refinishes (i.e. change of color or exterior skin)
- Paint booths
- Parking lots
- Storage racking exceeding 8 feet in height
- Temporary trailers
- White box finish