Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Zoning Processes

Zoning Certificates
Except as specifically identified in the Municipal Code, no permit pertaining to the use of the land or buildings shall be issued by an officer, department or employee of this City unless the application for such permit has been examined by the office of the Zoning Administrator and has affixed to it a certificate of the office that the proposed building or structure and use thereof complies with all the provisions of this Chapter. An application for Zoning Certificate is included with other permits so requiring.

Special Use Permits (SUP)
An SUP authorizes certain uses which may be necessary or desirable to allow in a given district, but which because of their potential impact upon neighboring uses, public facilities, or general community need to be carefully regulated with respect to location or operation. Special Use Permits require Planning Commission review and City Council approval. The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative, including a lessee) may file an application for a Special Use Permit.

Zoning Map Amendments (“Rezoning”)
The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative) may file an application to amend The Official Zoning Map of the City of Bridgeton. Amendments to the Zoning Map may also be initiated by the Planning Commission or City Council.

Zoning Ordinance Text Amendments
Like a Zoning Map Amendment, the owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative) my file an application to amend the text of the Zoning Ordinance or it may be initiated by the Planning Commission or City Council.

Land Subdivision
The Subdivision Ordinance is the regulatory code by which the City controls the division of land within the corporate area of Bridgeton in order to promote the public health, safety and general welfare; to further the orderly development of land; to establish accurate records of land subdivisions; to facilitate adequate and coordinated provision for transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements; and to preserve natural features and historic landmarks. Land subdivision procedures include plats, vacations of subdivisions, and vacations of public streets. Certain land subdivision procedures require Planning Commission review and City Council approval.

Variances & Appeals
Variances allow a petitioner to request,  by application,  departure from city ordinances in some circumstances when a proposed use or development does not meet the standards for land use established in the Zoning Ordinance. Appeals allow a petitioner to dispute an interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance made by an official of the City. Variances and appeals are heard by the Board of Adjustment.