Commercial Occupancy Permits and Inspections

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Information on Commercial Occupancy Permits and Inspections

You will need to obtain a Business Occupancy permit for the following instances:

  • New Business
  • Change of Ownership
  • Occupying a New Location
  • Occupying Additional Space

Please click here for the Commercial Occupancy Permit Application and Application for Zoning Certificate.

Commercial Occupancy Permit Fees:
Commercial Re-Occupancy:                $50.00
New Commercial Structure:                $80.00
Occupancy with Building Permit:         $80.00
Commercial Temporary Occupancy:     $80.00

Your Business Occupancy Permit is subject to Zoning approval, Business License, and building inspection approval.

Process of Obtaining a Permit
In order to start the process of obtaining a Business Occupancy Permit, you must first apply for a Commercial Occupancy Permit and a Zoning Certificate. Along with the application, a clear copy of the business owner’s Photo I.D. is also required. The permit fee is due at time of application.

Once the application has been submitted, it will first be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Administrator. If there are any zoning issues with your application you will be contacted.

Once the Planning and Zoning Administrator has approved your application, your inspector will call to set up a date and time for the inspection. After the inspection(s) have been completed, all necessary items have been corrected, and you have applied for your business license, the Public Works Department will issue a Business Occupancy Permit and a Zoning Certificate.

The Business Occupancy Permit and Business License must be displayed in a prominent location inside the premises.

IMPORTANT: If you have applied for any building permits or will be making any structural changes to the interior, please inform the Public Works Department prior to applying for a Business Occupancy Permit.

General Information
After the first inspection has been completed, you will need to apply for a Business License. Your occupancy permit will not be released until you have applied for your Business License. Business / Merchant License Applications can be obtained from the City Clerk.

If your business will require a Liquor License, we suggest you obtain the necessary approval and licensing before applying for the Business Occupancy Permit.

A Sign Permit cannot be released until the Business Occupancy Permit has been approved. However, the sign permitting process can be lengthy and you may want to apply for the Sign Permit simultaneously with your Business Occupancy Permit Application.