Please click here for a list of permit fees. Please DO NOT submit a check with the application, it will not be accepted. Fees are not due until after the permit has been issued.
All Building Permit Applications must be accompanied by an Application for a Zoning Certificate as well as four (4) sets of drawings and/or plans, and four (4) copies a of plot plan/site plan of the property - some projects may require plans to be signed and sealed by a engineer or architect licensed with the State of Missouri. Without submittal of all of the above items, processing delays will occur; we can not review an application until all necessary documents have been submitted. All plans must conform to the 2003 International Building Code. Please submit applications to the Information Desk at City Hall.
The City of Bridgeton’s Public Works Department supports and encourages every resident and business’s decision to improve their home or space. Approval of plans and inspection of work being done helps ensure your improvement meets minimum code requirements while improving your property. We look forward to helping you. Work on a project may not begin until a permit has been issued and the permit fee has been paid.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION & FAQ REGARDING BUILDING PERMITS
- Please allow approximately ten (10) to fifteen (15) business days for application review and processing (unless Design and Review Board approved is necessary, if so, see below). We review permits on a first come first serve basis and are not in a position to offer any type of review expediting. No exceptions.
- Please note that the Design and Review Board must approve all exterior alterations, additions, signs, storage buildings, commercial fences, and in some cases residential fences. In this case, please allow approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks for processing and review time.
- Permit applications may be mailed or submitted to the front desk; at this time we cannot accept faxed or emailed applications.
- Any Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Permits must be applied for through St. Louis County separately.
- Any Fire Permits must be applied for through the appropriate Fire District separately.
- If any amount of grading will be performed, please contact the Public Works Department to inquire if a site disturbance permit is necessary.
- An excavation permit may be required for new construction and other major projects that will require work in the City's right-of-way, please contact the Public Works Department to inquire if an excavation permit is required.
- Once your application is approved, the permit contact will receive a call that the permit approved - at this time we state what the final permit fees are and give necessary information regarding picking up the permit.
Permits are required for the following:
Residential: Fences, decks, garages, storage buildings (over 120 square feet), swimming pools, all structural remodels or repair, roof trusses and decking (but not shingles), solar panels, satellite dishes, all additions, fire damage or repair, retaining walls over 4 foot, demolition, fireplaces and stoves, carport and patio covers.
Commercial: Everything listed under “Residential” and also including major building refinishes (i.e. change of color or exterior skin), white box finish, awnings, signs, parking lots, paint booths, storage racking exceeding 8' in height, generator, dumpster enclosures, tents, temporary trailers.
For information and regulations on different types of permits please click on the following links:
Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, Spas
All brochures can also be found at the Information Desk at City Hall.