Building Permits


Obtaining a Building Permit

The City of Bridgeton’s Public Works Department supports and encourages every resident and business’s decision to improve their home or space. Approval of plans and inspection of work being done helps ensure your improvement meets minimum code requirements while improving your property. We look forward to helping you. Work on a project may not begin until a permit has been issued and the permit fee has been paid.

 All Building Permit Applications must be accompanied by an Application for a Zoning Certificate as well as four (4) sets of drawings and/or plans, and four (4) copies a of plot plan/site plan of the property.  Without submittal of all of the above items, processing delays will occur; we can not review an application until all necessary documents have been submitted. All plans must conform to the 2003 International Building Code. Please submit applications to the Information Desk at City Hall. 

Application for a Building Permit and Zoning Certificate.
Please click here for a list of permit fees. Please DO NOT submit a check with the application, it will not be accepted. Fees are not due until after the permit has been approved and issued.


  • Please allow approximately ten (10) to fifteen (15) business days for application review and processing. We review permits on a first come first serve basis and do not offer any type of review expediting. No exceptions.
  • Any Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Permits must be applied for through St. Louis County separately.
  • Any Fire Permits must be applied for through the appropriate Fire District separately.
  • Please note that the Design and Review Board must approve all exterior alterations, additions, signs, storage buildings, commercial fences, and in some cases residential fences. In this case, please allow approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks for processing and review time.
  • If any amount of grading will be performed, please contact the Public Works Department to inquire if a site disturbance permit is necessary.

Permits are required for the following:

Residential: Fences, decks, garages, storage buildings (over 120 square feet), swimming pools, all structural remodels or repair, roof trusses and decking (but not shingles), solar panels, satellite dishes, all additions, fire damage or repair, retaining walls over 4 foot, demolition, fireplaces and stoves, carport and patio covers.

Commercial: Everything listed under “Residential” and also including major building refinishes (i.e. change of color or exterior skin), white box finish, awnings, signs, parking lots, paint booths, storage racking exceeding 8' in height, generator, dumpster enclosures, tents, temporary trailers.

For information and regulations on different types of permits please click on the following links: 
Residential Fences 
Residential Decks 
Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, Spas
Retaining Walls
Commercial Fences

All brochures can also be found at the Information Desk at City Hall.